Sunday 13 September 2015

Sweet potato and onion baijis

 
Seems like everyone I know is ill.  Tis the season for coughs, sneezes and pounding headaches :-(  I couldn't be bothered going to the supermarket so rustled up some spicy snacks instead as spice seems to help unblock sinuses!
 
I had a couple of sad looking sweet potatoes lurking in the veg basket so used them up.
 
Sweet potato and onion baijis
 
1 onion, finely chopped
3 small sweet potatoes, microwaved until soft and skinned
1 tsp cumin
1tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp chili flakes
1 cup gram flour
1/2 cup water
1 egg
salt to taste

 
Gently fry onions and spices until soft and add to mashed sweet potato.
Make a thick batter with the gram flour, water and egg. Add salt to taste.
 

 
Mix everything together. Fry spoonfuls in a little oil until brown on both sides then finish in oven for 10 mins until cooked through.

 
Tasty, frugal and just spicy enough :-)
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Now I am hungry! I just have to try these, I love sweet potato and a different recipe is always interesting :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks