Sunday 26 July 2015

Orange chicken

 
I tried a new recipe in my slow cooker.  I found this Orange Chicken recipe on Pinterest using marmalade as the base.  I have a glut of my whisky marmalade in the store cupboard so in the spirit of using up what's in there, I gave it a go.  I also used some of the frozen chicken pieces.
 
Orange Chicken
 
7 chicken pieces (I didn't even defrost them)
3/4 cup of marmalade
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons Tamari soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
 
Quickly brown the chicken pieces and add them to the slow cooker with a splash of water.  Combine the other ingredients and add.  Cook on High for 2-3 hours (less if not frozen I guess)
 
It was very sticky and had a slight BBQ flavour.  The 7 pieces fed 3 of us with stir fried rice and veggies.
 

 
I quickly popped into Sainsbury's this afternoon after gym with OH (he needed milk and cat food but ended up with 2 full bags of shopping AND realised he'd forgotten the cat food!!!)  I got a kilo of mince with a yellow sticker and also had a coupon for £1.06.  So only paid £3.43.  It's currently bubbling away as a batch of bolognaise sauce for the freezer.


And look who's been stealing my raspberries!!! I know grey squirrels are the scourge of our native red ones but he was so cute despite being caught in the act :-)

3 comments:

  1. Our dogs are stealing our raspberries! I've been picking up lots of yellow sticker offers recently too. In fact, looking round our kitchen last night, there seemed to be a lot of yellow sticker food, bread, naan bread, mince, salmon, broccoli, steak. The food bill still seems to be high but it would be much higher if we were paying full price for all the items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orange chicken was delicious. Thanks for such a simple tasty recipe. The left over juice was delicious poured over mash the following day.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks