Saturday 11 April 2015

Best pate ever


This is by far the best pate I've ever made.  Seriously.  And I've made tons over the years.  It's fast, cheap and is full of good omega oils.  It's the simplest and fastest recipe to make.

Smoked Mackerel Pate

2 large hot smoked mackerel
2 tsp mustard (I had the seedy kind)
2 tbsp Alpro 'cream'
50g goat's butter, softened
1/2 lemon, juice only

Skin and remove any bones from the fish. 
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth (about 20 secs!!)
Seriously, that's it!

The original recipe had some horseradish and parsley in it, plus cow's milk butter and cream.  But it still tastes amazing.  The goat's butter doesn't taste 'goaty' it's more like Lurpak.

I had some yellow stickered mackerel in the freezer so used that.  Next time I'll use the Sainsbury's basics stuff as it's getting blended any way.  And I think the parsley would make it look better if I was serving it to guests.

It's fab on oatcakes and the GF crispbreads I got this week. 

EDITED TO ADD: OH loves it too!!!

2 comments:

  1. I do love mackerel pate. The shop bought variety for me due to time. I used to make a good salmon pate that combined salmon with philadelphia cheese. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds brilliant .... and I've got lots of yellow stickered mackerel in the freezer, in fact I've got so much I don't know where it all appeared from!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks