Sunday 29 December 2013

2014 Budget - food and essentials

I've finally worked out my food and essentials budget for next year.  It will be £50 per week. That's for the 2 of us plus 2 dogs and OH popping in and out for some meals.  Hopefully I'll be able to trim that down as the year goes on especially when I get my garden growing.

I've done an audit of my cupboards and worked out these are the essentials we use.  With a few fresh ingredients bought weekly I can rustle up a variety of meals.  I keep a decent supply of frozen veg and other essentials in my freezer and will keep stocking it up with my stickered bargains.

If there's any obvious gaps or suggestions you have please feel free to comment.
 
Storecupboard essentials

Pasta

Rice – brown, risotto

Egg noodles

Couscous

Taco shells

Tea bags

Coffee – instant, ground

Peppermint tea

Lentils

Split peas

Oats

Cornflakes

Flour – plain, bread

Baking powder

Yeast

Nuts

Raisins/sultanas

Sugar – caster, granulated, brown

Honey

Golden syrup

Vanilla extract

Jelly

Custard powder

Marigold stock powder

Lea and Perrins sauce

Soy sauce

Vinegar – cider, balsamic

Oil – olive, sunflower, sesame

Salt – table, sea

Tuna

Beans

Chopped tomatoes

Pineapples

Evaporated milk

Mayonnaise

BBQ sauce

Tomato ketchup

Diluting juice – blackcurrant, apple

Water

UHT milk

Juice – apple, orange

 
Household essentials

Washing up liquid

Soap powder

Liquid soap

Bleach spray

Cream cleaner

Scouring sponges

Cloths

Tea towels

Toilet paper

Kitchen roll

Glass cleaner

Rubber gloves

Disposable gloves

Furniture polish

Dog food

Dog biscuits

Poop bags

Tin foil

Cling film

Food bags – small, medium

Black bags

Batteries – AA, AAA

Medicine box

Migraleve

Cold and flu tablets

Ibuprofen

Nux vom

Multi vitamins

Rosehip tablets

Vitamin D tablets

Glucotabs

 
Toiletries

Head and shoulders shampoo

Shower gel

Soap

Toothpaste

Toothbrushes

Face pads

Face wash

Oil of Olay

Eye make-up remover

Toner

Deodorant – me (Sure), Gordon (Lynx)

Shampoo

Conditioner

Styling wax

Razors

Shaving foam

3 comments:

  1. Looks just like my shopping list. Do you shop at Aldi? Their shampoo, conditioner is brilliant value. Looks like a Pantene bottle. Also their shower gel is really good, like original source stuff. Excellent value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very similar to my list and the £200 a month about the same too. We have very limited storage space and my challenge is not to buy to much at one time, so cannot bulk buy, but in some ways that can be better. Would you use dishcloths instead of/as well as scourers? I know some people do but hubby does washing up and prefers scourers, but I am thinking of knitting some dishcloths - email me if you would like a couple. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindo, I used to make my own cleaners. Must look out my wee book of recipes again

    Wendy, will def look closely at Aldi and Lidl brands. I already use their washing powder

    Alison, I love making dishcloths. V satisfying and actually better quality than bought ones. I keep meaning to save the nets from fruit and veg to turn into a pot scourer thingy. Free scourers :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks