Friday 3 August 2012

I do like yellow stickers!!

My middle son is home briefly before jetting off to start his new life in Vienna next week (he's just graduated from uni and got a job there)  After my visit to the supermarket he observed that I do like my yellow sticker bargains!!  Lol!


What can you do with cucumbers?  Turn them into Bread and Butter Pickles!  No idea why they're called that but I love them.  Very similar to dill pickles that you get in a certain cheeseburger from a multi national company!!!



Slice 2 cucumbers finely and put in a glass dish. 
Sprinkle with 50g of salt and leave overnight.
Drain the liquid and then wash and drain the cucumber slices.


Lay them out and pat dry.  Wee bit time consuming but worth it.  You don't want watery pickles!

Bring 400ml of vinegar, 2 tsp of pickling spices, 1 tsp of turmeric and 200g of sugar to the boil. 
Simmer for 10 mins.
Add cucumber and bring back to the boil for 1 min.
Put into hot sterilised jars.

One of my favourite pickles that can be made year round.



Also picked up a lovely beef joint that will be used for a special Sunday dinner this weekend.


And some blackcurrants to add to my own in the freezer for jam at some point.

Yep, I do like those yellow stickers!! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Those cucumbers wouldn't last a day in my house. Both sons love them but DS2 eats them like an apple.

    I don't seem to get any really good yellow sticker items now, which shops do you go to and at what times?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know about anywhere else but I've discovered that my local Sainsbury's start reducing their stuff between 6 and 7pm on weekdays. Real bargains happen after 8pm but it's pot luck really. Most of the time I don't get much. I have to be strict with myself and only get stuff I use, not ready meals etc.

    M&S have loads of stuff on a Monday. Stuff not sold over the weekend I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm I must try those pickles as we adore them never knew you could make them from cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks